Barbara Amiel Mega Drivel Selfie

We had all gone to the Metropolitan Opera together, Annette and Oscar (De La Renta) followed by flashbulbs. I noticed how protective Oscar was of his fiancee, cradling her from photographers and making sure she was never left alone in milling well-wishers outside our box. That, I thought, is the kind of man I’d like to have at my side. After I had been lucky to marry precisely that sort of man, Conrad and I began to see more of the de la Rentas.

Oscar saw things differently. “Don’t ever lose your decolletage,” he said when I came out of the swimming pool. I didn’t understand. Sure enough, six years later, I had lost it – the roundness of flesh over bones had been replaced by the semi-emaciated looks of bosoms balanced on a pigeon breast structure. I had become fashionably gaunt.

When last summer I was invited to a wonderful ball in the U.K, I chose an Oscar gown from Toronto’s ‘the Room’ at Hudson’s Bay. Unfortunately, it was strapless and my arms and chest were in the decay Oscar had foreseen. I emailed him in despair. “Wrap yourself in clouds of tulle,” he said. A package of tulle, via his close colleague Boaz Mazur, arrived in Toronto. I wrapped myself in it and swanned in. Just as I know Oscar, a practicing Roman Catholic, fine and decent, of charity and mercy, will now be wrapped, exalted and luxuriating in heaven’s embroidered cloths of gold.

–Barbara Amiel, Maclone’s, Nov. 3, 2014.

10 comments on “Barbara Amiel Mega Drivel Selfie

There should be a retching emoticon for times like these.

2. OJM says:

Fess up, Franksters. If you worked on a parody day and night for a month you couldn’t come up with anything nearly as funny as this. Between them, Babs and Tubby set the standard for Canadian humour writing.

3. ChosenBarley says:

I thought this was satire but then it says she actually wrote this. What is going on.

4. OJM says:

Possible Amiel epitaphs:

“Don’t ever lose your décolletage”

“Wrap yourself in clouds of tulle”

“Fashionably gaunt”

5. mmedesevigne says:

And today’s article comes to you from the Fashionably Gaunt Room of the Barbara Amiel Home for the Terminally Clueless.

6. blansky says:

Keeping her head up her ass retains that ‘waxy glow’.

7. orphancarguy says:

That picture above…she looks like the wax deer caught (yet again!) in the limelight. (to quote E. F. Benson, “those Dutchesses give me no rest”)

Since I don’t read Maclones unless waiting for the dentist, I missed this drivel/drool. I too thought it was an absurd parody. Could this be termed Life imitating Artifice?

8. PaulG says:

Oscar is dead and Babs effortlessly makes it all about her tits. What a gal!

9. T says:

Where did that security guy’s hand go (if not a botox-overload, perhaps explains MiLady’s expression) and what exactly is Tubby looking at? The onset of pigeon-arse maybe? Enquiring minds, arf, arf, shurely.